Saturday, September 5, 2009

Research - What I learned

When I started my research I just looked at the source, made a copy of it and took the information. I did not make a copy of the source of the material so I had to go back and find that again. I learn subsequent always to do that. For new material I will need permission if I do substantial quotes. I will have to site everything including my own work. Yes I have written published work, more about that later.

I just picked up a thesis that I received by inter library loan. That should not be remarkable but for this one it was. For most dissertations you can find them registered by Pro Quest at UMI Dissertation. A librarian tried that and could not find it and gave up. Meanwhile I was looking for that thesis because it proved that the woman who wrote it was a researcher as well as an educator. So after about two months I asked her about it and she said it was lost. So I went directly to the library that held the thesis to check on it and found out that it was available for inter-library loan and was not registered at Pro Quest. I spoke to the inter library loan librarian about this and gave all this information to my public library librarian. About 4 weeks later the thesis arrived along with a processing fee of $10.00 which I gladly paid.
I have retrieved other thesis of these women. Some in person. I walked in 90 degree heat from the bus stop to the library at the University of Chicago to retrieve two thesis of two of my women. I wondered as I walked if other historians wanted to visit the actual places where their subjects went to college or grad school. While at the University of Chicago I visited the chemistry department. No one was there, as it was summer except an African American woman who was working as a volunteer. I told her what I was doing and she was happy to know that the University of Chicago is where two of the women received their PhD's along with African American men. There is a story here that needs to be told.
That's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment