Friday, February 4, 2011

Copyright permissions

Ok. I am on a steep learning curve for this book and frankly I am worn out.  Because I don't have an assistant (that's going to change) I have to do everything.
I just spent two days trying to chase down the publisher of a book that I cited for permission.  The author holds the copyright but the publisher gives the permission.  Well the publisher has changed since 1994, it was bought out by another publisher.  Actually the book was published by a small publisher in Boston who I guess sold it to a bigger publisher for distribution.  I contacted the author's assistant and found out that she was ill and I should go to the editor of the small publisher which I did.
Her's where the fun begins.  I went to the publisher and they use a service called RightsLink or Copyright.com.  I just spent three or more hours fighting with their website trying to get the information to the publisher to aceept or reject.  I created an account with Copyright.Com only to find that when I wanted to submit my information it was =gone!  It had been deleted from the server.  Well I did this three times and then I picked up the phone and called them.  The man who answered submitted the information on my behalf and had the same problem.
So now it is up to the IT people to figure out what went wrong!  When I signed up for the account on Copyright.com it kept giving me the wrong city when I put in my correct zip code.  It gave me a town in Massachusettes and not New Jersey!  I worked my way around that one.

So here I sit with more stuff to edit and I am exhausted!

The good news is that I did get written permission from the author of Black Women Scientists in American to use information that I cited from her book!  She has been supportive of my work all along so I am excited about that.  She want's a copy of the book.  I will drive to her house and present it in person.  She is now disabled since she had a stroke about two years ago.

In spite of the fact I have no money I want to hire a student to do some of the typing and follow up for permissions that my former assistant did.  I have to get this book out!

OK.  Back to the real world.

Jeannette
PS I am glad the weather is bad as I go nowhere anyhow.  My life revolves around book, music, knitting and dinner.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Ms. Brown, I found your blog while researching women in chemistry for a Women in Science class I'm currently taking. I'm a non-traditional student (translates to *old* as I am 51, my major is English with writing concentration and minor is Women's Studies). I would love to include you in a report I am writing about contemporary women in chemistry, and am asking your permission to paraphrase your profile. Also, at the risk of pushing the envelope, I would also like your date of birth and the years you received your degrees. Of course, *this* information is optional! Thank you so much. And best to you with your book. Fantastic!
    Gwen Sullivan, email: gsullivan@sulross.edu.

    ReplyDelete