Monday, January 4, 2010

New Year Start of writing

Today I started with the woman who is the reason I am starting to write a book, Dr. Marie Daly.  Dr. Daly was the first African American woman to receive a PhD in chemistry.  When I met her and found out that I thought she was living history.  She became sort of my honorary role model.  As an African American woman chemist, I decided to find out about the other women who wanted to become chemists and tell their stories.
I have done a lot of research into the story about Dr. Daly but today I decided to do some more.  There is a group in the American Chemical Society that want to have her life lifted up as a role model for other young women and men like they did the life of Dr. Percy Julian.  I don't know if we will be able to have NOVA do a video about her life, but we can have a private video made.
Today I sent e-mails to the ACS about this and to the archivist of Einstein College of Medicine where Dr. Daly worked.  I needed to get permission from the archivist to use the photo of Dr. Daly and see if they have any more information about Dr. Daly.  I also want to reach out to her students to get their stories.  There is also a professor their that wrote her memorial for the Einstein Collge of Medicine news magazine.  I would like to speak to him if he is still alive.
I also contacted the archivist of the American society for the Advancement of Sciene.  Dr. Shirley Malcom told me that she had a video of Dr. Daly speaking about her career.  Also Dr. Daly was one of the chemists that took part in the orgiginal discussion about minority women in science that resulted in the paper called "The Double Bind".  The 40th? anniversary of that paper is coming soon and I want to present a symposium about that paper and the update now at the ACS meeting in Boston next summer so I was interested in data about that.
The other place I need information from is Rockefeller Institue now University.  That is wher Dr. Daly first worked.  I will check with the archivist there tomorrow.
This is all I had time for today.  I do need to start writing, but I have already written about Dr. Daly in "African American National Biography".  In fact when I Googled Dr. Daly the article that I wrote about her came up.
It is so hard to write at home because things interfer.  For example today I was going to start early but I had to drive my housemate to rent a car since her car was totatled in an accident.  Therefore I did not get started until afternoon.  Tuesday and Wednesday of this week I have doctors appointments so my next full day is Friday.  I will try to sneak something in tomorrow and Wednesday though.
Jeanntte Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment